Prior to January 2012, the Walmart Dependent Scholarship was not renewable. Scholars who were selected prior to January 2012 are subject to the terms and conditions in effect at the time they received the award and are not eligible to renew their scholarships.
Who is eligible to apply?
Applicants are required to meet all of the following criteria:
• Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Legal Resident of the United States
• Must be the dependent of an actively employed Walmart associate (employee) within any division of Walmart for at least six consecutive months as of March 15, 2013
• Must be a high school or home school senior graduating or earning a GED between August 1, 2012 and July 31, 2013
• Must have a cumulative high school grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0 on a 4-point scale• Must enroll for fall 2013 as a full-time freshman at a two-year or four-year college or university. If you are attending a two-year institution, you must transfer to a four-year institution by your third year of school. The school must be an accredited U.S. institution, and listed on the official website for the U.S. Department of Education (http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/Search.aspx). Military academies are not approved institutions.
• Must have financial need and be able to demonstrate the need with required documents
1. Dependents of the Walmart Board of Directors or of the Walmart officers (Vice President and above) are not eligible to apply.
2. Students with other funds that pay entirely for tuition, books, fees, and on-campus room and board are not eligible to receive this award.
Application Period: March 15, 2013
Description of Funds
• The maximum award amount for the Walmart Dependent Scholarship is $13,000, which can be used over four academic years of continuous, full-time college enrollment.
• If you are awarded a scholarship, you will be required to complete a Scholarship Acceptance Agreement before your initial award payment of $1,625 is disbursed to your institution.
• Thereafter, before every semester, you must complete a Scholarship Renewal Agreement and provide a current transcript in order to receive the next disbursement of $1,625 (see the Renewal Support section).
• Funds must be applied to expenses such as: undergraduate tuition, fees, books, and on-campus room and board. Funds are provided by the Walmart Foundation.
• Payments are issued by ACT, Inc. (ACT), and made payable to the student’s approved college or university.
• Checks will be mailed after August 1, 2013, directly to the accredited college or university last designated by the student.
• All scholars will be required to complete an online Scholarship Acceptance Agreement in order to receive their initial award payment of $1,625. Instructions, including deadline dates, will be emailed to winning dependents.
Conditions of Award
• The applicant’s parent or legal guardian must be a Walmart associate at the time of award.
• If, at any time, a scholar receives additional funding from another source that covers full tuition, fees, books, and oncampus room and board for the 2013-2014 academic year, the scholar is no longer eligible to receive Walmart funding and will relinquish the scholarship.
Winner Selection and Announcements: ACT, Inc. will provide a Selection Committee, independent of Walmart and the Walmart Foundation, to ensure the impartial and confidential evaluation of applications. Scholarships are awarded to 25% of the eligible applicants according to IRS regulation. Selections are based on academics and financial need. Winner and nonwinner notifications will be emailed in early May 2013.
Responsibilities of Recipients
• The recipient must be actively enrolled full time as a freshman in fall 2013 for the entire academic year without interruption, barring illness, emergency, or military service.
• It is the recipient’s responsibility to verify receipt of funds with their designated institution and notify ACT should the award check not arrive on or about 30 days from the issue date. It is the recipient’s responsibility to maintain an active email address and notify ACT of any email address changes as this is how ACT will communicate with the recipient.
Renewal Support: To remain eligible to renew their award, scholars must be continuously enrolled as a full-time student and maintain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 on a 4-point scale, for the previous term.
To renew their award, scholars must:
• Complete the online Scholarship Renewal Agreement at www.act.org/walmart/depend/renewscholars.html
• Provide a current transcript showing full-time enrollment and final grades from the most recent term
The Walmart Foundation reserves the right to alter or discontinue this program at any time without notice.
Contact Information for Additional Questions
Contact Us Online (https://www.act.org/walmart/contact.html)
All supporting documents must be received by the deadline date at the appropriate Iowa City address below. Forms sent to any other address will not be forwarded and the application will be disqualified.
(Regular U.S. mail)
Walmart Dependent Scholarship Program
PO Box 4030
Iowa City, IA 52243-4030
(Overnight Courier, Such as FedEx or UPS)
Walmart Dependent Scholarship Program
101 ACT Drive
Iowa City, IA 52243